Friday, January 21, 2011

The Personal Struggle: Depression

According to the journalist Andrew Sullivan, “a blog, unlike a diary, is instantly public. It transforms this most personal and retrospective of forms [a diary] into a painfully public and immediate one. It combines the confessional genre with the log form and exposes the author in a manner no author has ever been exposed before.”   http://www.thealtantic.com/doc/200811/andrew-sullivan-why-i-blog

Certainly, I wish not to become self-indulgent loading my blog with self-pity and regret on the limitations life has and is placing on me.  But, if I am to give a full account of the pursuit of the dream of opening an alternative school, I am required to let the personal struggle tell itself, along side the professional one.  So, disclosure is important to the story, but I will promise not to create such a melodrama, although done correctly I would think melodrama an excellent marketing device.  But I will worry over marketing at some future time.  This individual post sets the scene upon which I will report and comment from time to time as issues arise.

I have a four day beard which itches as much as the athletes foot I had when a teen-ager.  Looking in the bathroom mirror at the salt and pepper on the face and the severe red blotches underneath I make a vow that now will be the time to clean up, to rid myself of the maddening itch.  I turn on the hot water mixing it with enough cold in the stoppered sink to get the right temperature.  I pick up the soap. But then I feel sick, a wave of sadness crashes over the entire body just as the waves use to do when I was able to swim, and have fun, in the ocean.  I couldn’t look at myself in the mirror anymore. I drain the water from the sink and slink off to return to bed, slumber and hiding.

Depression is the way of my life.  Intellectually I’ve known it for decades, but emotionally I have been in deep denial.  I continue convincing myself that as I am a good person, someone of fine character, strong of muscle, thought and opinion, I need no help, either through therapy or medication to overcome the debilitating sadness which prevents movement to accomplish even the smallest of tasks.  And, you know, it is the smallest of personal tasks, like shaving, or brushing ones teeth or changing from sleepwear to street wear or making an American cheese sandwich, which cannot be done.  Of course, the larger things like job hunting, or writing for publication, or participating in community activities go by the board just as easily.  Indeed, going outside the house is impossible when under this tsunami of remorse.

It is interesting to think that as I’ve been told insomnia is a symptom of Depression.  But when I am fully under its spell I sleep upwards of twelve to fourteen hours.  Yes, sleep is one way of hiding from everything which works very well for me.

There are levers I use to work my way out of the deep hole in which Depression puts me.  But, it takes a whole lot of being at an emotional bottom before I get the psychic energy to take steps to work a lever.  The best lever is exercise.  In fact, a little exercise followed almost immediately by a shave and a shower works to temporarily bring me up, sufficiently that I can build on it.  However, now circumstances are conspiring to “feed the beast”. 

My 94 year old mother has turned into a nearly helpless creature.  In her senility she wants to be dependent on me, and my wife, for everything, just about every single life activity including wiping her bottom after going to the bathroom.  She still can feed herself, and does, but we prepare meals and clean up after her.  She only minimally takes care of her personal hygiene: My wife has to bath her.  She needs help getting in and out of bed and into and out of chairs:  It has gotten to the point where increasingly I’ve had to lift her from bed to wheel chair and from wheel chair onto living room chair, from bed to wheel chair and from wheel chair to bed!  She moves about the house in a wheel chair which she refuses to self-propel, although we have rearranged enough household stuff for her to unobstructively move herself about, with the exception of going into the bathroom whose doorway the wheel chair does not fit.  Yes, there is pain in movement and that has driven her to engage in less and less activity:  And you know the saying, the less one does the less one can do.  And she has moved less and less over the years until she can hardly move any muscle group without some assistance and without pain.  Her lower body has completely atrophied and her upper is not that far behind.  I understand the desire to avoid pain which almost all movement presents, but her lower body debilitation, which precipitated all the rest, could have been greatly lessened thirty years ago with knee replacements.  But, she refused to do anything to remedy her increasingly arthritic knees and now she and we are paying the price.  Mentally she has regressed into a child-like state where she either balks or squawks about helping herself in areas where she remains physically capable.

Depression runs in the family.  My father was authentically Depressed and coped with it with prescription drugs and alcohol abuse.  My father died at age 57 refusing to acknowledge his need for mental or physical health services. 

My mother like so many dutiful wives and mothers kept her Depression to herself and with all the contradictions in her relationship with my father seems to me to have kept an even-keel.  Still, with the onset of the infirmity of arthritis her coping broke and the Depression asserted itself big time.  She really knew the destructive force of Depression as her mother, another authentic Depressive, essentially committed suicide by starving herself to death when recovering from a broken hip.  Nonetheless, it seems to me the illness finally took over and my mother, in her own way, has been dieing since.  Yet, her instinct for life and her fear of being like her mother has been keeping her from taking her mother’s route.  

The price to me of my mother’s infirmity causing Depression is substantial.  My world has shrunk to the walls of my house as I cannot go beyond them since I am her main care-giver and need to attend her at whatever time she is in need of it!  This is a 24/7 job with which my wife is helping when she is at home in the weekday evenings and on the weekends.  Still, all those hopes and dreams I’ve been having, all the work on the school and my political/legislative advocacy over the years (of which I will tell in subsequent blogs) are being put in jeopardy, on hold or potentially being forsaken, as I slide deeper and deeper into my own Depression.

I know I practice a range of psychological avoidances with my “projects”, but they, especially the school and the politics, have been the way by which I confirm my self-worth to myself.  (I intellectually understand a reframing can transpose my intimate care-giving into a self-worth confirmation but I am finding that just as impossible as I’ve found it over the years when a house-husband between employment:  I cannot see any of this as demonstrating my intellect and, it seems, there is a huge need for me to confirm myself as being learnedly intelligent.)

Indeed, I’m having trouble continuing to work on the school and thus my self-worth is being challenged. There are ways by which to continue working.  The key is in setting up my sleep routine which would create evenings and weekends relatively free for whatever activities required.  This is becoming difficult in that my mother wakes up once, sometimes two or three times during the night to go to the bathroom.  And that means I must awake and get her out of bed to the bathroom and back from the bathroom and into bed.  She is spending more and more time in the bathroom, so I can be up for an hour and a half each time!  This does not lend itself to a comfortable, or consistent, sleep period, nor to a suitable routine. 

Working when I can, postponing or forsaking my the school project for the duration of my mother’s remaining days requires both a reframing of what constitutes a self-validation of worth and a reforming of schedule to get me out of the house and back into the larger community “doing the politics” and the library research in the evenings and on weekends.  But I have to have both the physical and psychic energy to reframe and to create the routine and then to work what I’ve created.  Depression and much interrupted sleep have sapped those energies for now. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. It takes a lot of courage to write a post like that. I wish you strength and courage during this time with your mother. I'll follow your thoughts. It's amazing to know that in this day and age we can be connected outside the walls of where we live. Keep writing, it may help you stay focused and give you some satisfaction that you are getting something done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Leo - Thanks So Much For writing about this!! I've had my own struggles with depression, which I won't write about right now. I was wondering why you hadn't been writing as much as you had before - now I understand!! And, I apologize for not having answered your in-depth response to me -I just checked- it's from December 8!! it's been sitting on my desk, waiting,and I've been dealing with 'too much' too. What really strikes me though, in what you've written about helping your mother is how much you are letting yourself become a sacrificial lamb to the process - undoubtedly with deeply sincere and generous compassion and consideration and caring, but nevertheless, when it is at the point that you describe, I quite seriously feel (as an outsider without all the details) that your mental health is essential and should no longer be sacrificed for her in this way. This is what nursing homes and home-health care aides are for. Of course, they cost a lot, and it may be that there's no money left for that, but at this point, your value and what you can give through your life are too much at stake to simply surrender all of yourself to your mom's caretaking, no matter what spiritual ideal that may fulfill. I believe that there are social service agencies that can help you. They may be dealing with funding cutbacks, but nevertheless,I strongly suggest, in fact I implore you, to start to investigate what is feasible right now for you and her. It may be incredibly depressing to put one's mother in a nursing home (and I've visited them, and seen the people sinking deeper and deeper, disappearing as people, sitting all day in their wheelchairs) -- but really, the cost to yourself at this point is too great, and I suggest that you not consider it 'selfish' that you honestly and truly need to take care of your Self at this point, because you DO have so much to give in your life to come, what is still in front of you. If necessary, without being embarrassed about it, you might consider writing about the financial struggles to getting the help and care your mother needs -- this is an issue that will face many of us, especially with social service cutbacks, so it is as much of a social justice issue to receive your writing about this as about education! I have one friend whose mother has Alzheimers, but she is healthy and strong still. She was in a very nice nursing home, and virtually all of her life savings were used up keeping her there. Now she is a private home with a garden, with her own room, at the home of a woman who worked at the nursing home and they really like each other. It still costs a lot, but I believe that now her care can be paid through Medicaid. The point is that it is a conscious choice, and her caretaker probably receives income and probably has some balance and way of not being consumed by the situation. I hear What is happening to you as Really Urgent and even though it may sound alarmist, and it may be hard to take new steps because the depression makes it hard to respond to taking action quickly, nevertheless, I must say that 1- I am here as a friend 2 - all my alarm bells are going off 3- I'm a night owl, and I would like to give you my phone number and we can talk at least some, so you know that you have a buddy who will support your taking some steps to help you break through this 4 - I would like you to really trust that I am here for you 5 - I am not going to forget your situation or put it on a back burner 6 - I would like you to take what I am saying super seriously - that it is time to move her care to another way of handling it - and that it is no longer appropriate for you to sacrifice your life for her, no matter how loving and compassionate and great your devotion is, as a good human being wanting to do the 'right thing' for your mom. With Love and Caring - Varda

    ReplyDelete