Monday, May 19, 2014

Not All Better Mousetraps Find Acceptance


Having finished my Democratic Education early childhood through early college concept proposal for the bright neurologically diverse, the Twice-Exceptional, by the Fall of 2005, and since there was so much of a push in the City at the time to establish Charter Schools, I thought to explore the possibilities of taking Rockaway College the Charter School route. Obviously, I knew an application like the School for Democracy's would not work. Still, I wondered since the school would be for a “disabilities'” group, the Twice-Exceptional, latitudes in design would be granted and thus a synthesized Democratic Education, Montessori and Open Classroom learning environment would find acceptance. Whether differentiated learning and quality differentiated outcomes attending to the individual intrinsic motivated learning of a Democratic Montessori-Open classroom would find friends was an open question, but I thought as the aphorism says, “nothing ventured...nothing gained”. I went deep into the process for almost the entire '05-'06 school year. I spoke with any one who was anyone in the Department of Education having any responsibility for Charter schools. Indeed, during the nearly nine month process: I learned the intricacies in the Charter Law, the application procedures and the criteria for successful application; I made friends and advocated for the concept. 
 

Five things became definite by the time I neared the end of the process: 1) the Charter School application required a committee of folks, especially from the neighborhood where the school was proposed to be sited, as much to demonstrate community support for the school as to assure authorizers there were folks deeply involved who knew what they were doing and could satisfy the pledges of the application; 2) the governance and administration structures of these schools excluded all students-in fact, governance and administration were quite conventional; 3) Charter school authorizers would not sanction early colleges; 4) the Charter, at base, was a trade-off agreement to be renewed every five years between the State and the Charter School governors and administrators where the Charter school folks would assure adequate yearly progress in ever higher mandated State-wide test scores for an independence from local school district oversight, especially in hiring, wages and work rules; and 5) the head of the school-whether called Principal or Director-the one most responsible for establishing the school which included the hiring, firing and supervision of staff and instruction-was required to be a State certified Administrator.


I had been unable to enlist anyone along the way to help with the project. But then I hadn't undertaken a concentrated effort. So, while I thought having a development committee was problematic, I thought it could be resolved through a recruitment drive in the Rockaway communities. That Charter rules went against Democratic Education's inclusion of youngsters in school governance and the possibility of students in school administration was not that problematic to me in that I was willing to forgo student inclusion in these areas for letting the individual intrinsic motivated and negotiated learning of a Democratic Montessori-Open Classroom to happen. Likewise, I was willing to re-structure the concept extending the Secondary Education Program and eliminating the early college, again, as long as the self-directed and negotiated Montessori-Open Classroom structure remained. However, demanding to make ever increasing scores on mandated State-wide tests the measure of success of the school and essentially the sole criterion for continued existence of the school was diametrically opposite the mission of Rockaway College; in this regard there was no way to work around this and, thus, by itself ruled out Rockaway College from being a Charter School-but there were other requirements just as obnoxious. However, the one about the person most responsible for the school, staff and instruction having to possess a State Certification as an Administrator put it in personal terms: I did not have such a Certificate, nor did I have the money to take the required degree classes to qualify, and therefore, I was ineligible to oversee my own school. I mean, I was not going to do all the work and then give it away!!!


But, as it turned out, Charter Law of the State of New York forbids Charter schools to be established exclusively for special needs populations:  This was the single requirement which actually extinguished any hope for Rockaway College as a State Charter as Rockaway College would be proposed to Start authorizers to directly serve the bright neuo-diverse, the Twice-Exceptional, a disability group. 
 

Summer 2006 was approaching and so I turned to Plan B, establishing the school as a private, independent community school like so many of the schools I got to know through NCACS. I turned to Alan Berger's method of organizing: I authored a series of articles in our community news paper, The Rockaway Point News, and followed up with informational meetings where I could recruit Pointer parents to form a core of the development committee. My thought was to get Breezy Point, where I live, on board and then leverage the core committee from Breezy to recruit the west end of Rockaway; and, then, if necessary use the West End committee to recruit the rest of the Rockaway communities.  I figured to publish the articles over the summer when Breezy swelled with residents and visitors taking the pleasures of the sun and the beach. (Breezy Point is a beach community located at the western tip of the Rockaway Peninsula which stretches into the Atlantic Ocean along the southwestern Long Island shore.)


I did not have the pleasure of a progressive organization and the neighborhood the likes of the Cooperative and Park Slope. In fact, Breezy Point, was, is and, I suspect, will always be very much right-of-center, that is, rock-ribbed Conservative and Republican. Knowing my neighborhood, I surmised-obviously, I still think correctly-the freedom to learn and adult non-coerciveness attending learning freedom just would not resonate favorably with anyone here. The appeal I thought to devise which should work would resonate with the parental need to find alternate school settings for their children struggling in their current schools. Conversations over the years with many neighbors had told me that this community held many troubled youngsters. So, I figured there was an audience for my messages and a real possibility of the articles generating the interest necessary for development committee recruitment., and with the committee, the school itself would become a reality. 
 

The first series of articles written, Square Pegs, told the stories of four struggling youngsters. I was relying on parental identification with these children to spark interest in the concept of an alternative school for their distressed children. Immediately after the stories, I penned a second series, Square Pegs: Searching for Solutions, which outlined schooling capable of yielding healthy, happy, self-regulated and self-actualizing young adults. Naturally, the supportive school outlined was the initial version of Rockaway College re-named “Sands College” for this effort.


(For those interested in the articles I have posted them in successive order immediately following this post.)


Walking through Breezy during the run of the articles I was complemented by at least one or two folks every time. But, in the end my assumptions on the ability of Breezy parents to identify with the children portrayed were proved false as conversations with parents, especially of parents of children I had previously known to be struggling, demonstrated either that they could not acknowledge their children's distress or that they did not believe they actually had the power to create a different way of schooling capable of reducing or eliminating their children's hurt while establishing schooling success. More, the follow-up meetings were poorly attended bringing in the merely curious far more than the serious. 
 

With Fall, 2006, well underway, I closed-up any further attempts to organize Breezy Point. For the rest of the '06-'07 school year, I took my concept to as many civic meetings as possible talking it up with parents and non-parents as well as teachers, school administrators and civic leaders whenever I was given an opening to talk about it. Non-parents, educators and civic leaders had no knowledge of Twice-Exceptionality; but the disturbing element here was that, with one very important exception, no one was interested in learning about these children. Equally distressing to me were the overwhelming negative attitudes toward individual intrinsic motivated learning and the all-consuming belief in the total adult power over children, which says children must be forced to do everything, especially learn what is told to them to be learned in school and in the way the teachers demand they learn.


But the most disappointing were the parents. They kept on falling into one of three categories: one set of parents said they were satisfied with where their children were placed and thus found no need to help develop a school they had no intention of transferring their child into; a second group of parents said that it was about time that children were told what to do otherwise they would do nothing as children are by nature lazy and must be forced to do everything and, thus, they would not be bothered helping to start a school based on children making their own decisions; a third group of parents said that if the school were already on-going they would be interested, but since it wasn't they weren't as, they said, they did not want their children to be lab rats and, thus, they saw no need to work to develop anything. 


By October, 2007, I was so discouraged and disappointed, I halted all outreach. I began looking for a conventional full-time teaching position, but I only came away with a Substitute Teacher job at the Upper School of The Kew-Forest School, one of the most traditional academic schools in Queens. I took the off days over the next six months to restructure the proposal adding a budget and began a very tentative second community outreach. But, by late 2008, with no interest in the project shown by parents or any one else I button-holed, I put the project away taking it out only if I thought someone would be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment