Monday, July 20, 2020

REFRAMING THE ACADEMY FROM INSIDE THE QUADRANGLE


PROJECT THE MASTERLY VOICE was the direction in a dog training pamphlet my high school English teacher father read out loud to me well over sixty years ago when he brought home a new puppy..  And it wasn't only the amateur dog trainer to which this advice obtained,  Indeed, it was and remains as well applied to the School Master and Mistress in the form of, “On the first day, you, the teacher, must set the tone.”  

From the first I entered the teaching profession to the last course I taught, I heard colleagues claim that the Masterly Voice is needed to successfully accomplish the job.  But, also from the first, not only did the Masterly Voice sit poorly in me, and perhaps because of this, whatever the age of students in my charge, it appears they did their best to ignore my commands choosing to do their own thing, with too many showing annoyance when I intentionally asserted my authority.  To the good order of my classes, students’ own things tended more often than not to coincide with many a lesson. 

Reflection on the dynamics over time finally dented the thickness of received wisdom to awaken in me the realization of a naturally arrived at Constructivism, the view “…that individuals create their own new understandings on the basis of an interaction between what they already know and believe and ideas and knowledge with which they come into contact. “   (Richardson, pp 1623-1624)  Thus, the results of my instruction would always be unique to each individual whether I wished it or not.   

Yet, the convention, especially in the higher education settings in which I sought and was given employment, was and remains to fix common course standards and then measure each student’s achievement of them on assignments, exams and even in class participation culminating in a single score for the course.  But, if each takes from instruction that which is unique to the individual, then the common standards and their measures of achievement become mightily invalid. 

So, the first change I made in deliberately employing Constructivism was to alter my grading policy.  On the first day of classes I facilitated conversations among the assembled undergraduates on the purposes of grading.  As they had never thought about it before, they could not find voice to my probes and the exercises morphed quickly into brief lectures on my grading philosophy and design of practice.  On the second class day I implemented the huge leap in asking each student to write the grade for the course they wanted and a reason for me to accept that grade on a large index card.   If the statement was well argued, I said, I would accept the grade and then they could take from our considerations of the material in question that which they found compelling without worry the effect on course grade..  In reality, unless the space was blank I accepted any reason. All complied and off we went.  Except…I got called on the carpet by administrations consequent of student complaints over my grading system and had to return to convention.

Further contemplation told me that I needed to reframe the situation of students in my courses so they might understand and find congenial my employ of Constructivism.  “To reframe”, Watzlawck states,…means to change the conceptual and/or emotional setting or viewpoint in relation to which a situation is experienced and to place it in another frame which fits the ‘facts’ of the same concrete situation equally well or better, and thereby changes its entire meaning.”   (Watzlawick, p. 95) 
To arrive at the new frame for my Constructivism I needed to make the old fame plain to myself. I discovered the old frame could be characterized as The Authoritarian.

The Authoritarian is the overwhelmingly dominant form of schooling at every level and in which I have done all my teaching.   It is hierarchically structured with individual adult and youth success within it contingent on personal integration with caste roles and satisfaction of authority expectations.  The Authoritarian’s Universe of Discourse is to be found in control, dominance-subservience, compliance, order, punishment.  Its Voice can be portrayed as The Domineering Parent.  Its Forms of Address are as in You must/must not, You should/shouldn’t, You need to, etc.  

The new frame I found could be characterized as The Libertarian-Communitarian Hybrid.  The Libertarian-Communitarian Hybrid structures an interdependent culture and governance for a school as a whole and an independent subject knowledge seeking, acquisition and use for each student.  Personal success in living and working well within the organization is contingent on adult-youth egalitarian, cooperative management of institutional administration, policy, and social control, and of individual self and interpersonal regulation while each student’s subject knowledge success is contingent on a high degree of self-determination.  Examples of The Libertarian-Communitarian Hybrid center mostly on the Sudbury Valley School in Framingham, MA, (https://sudburyvalley.org/), and its modeled schools, on Summerhill School in Leiston, England (http://www.summerhillschool.co.uk/), and Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio (https://antiochcollege.edu/ ).  The Libertarian-Communitarian Universe of Discourse tends to be situational with community, group, interpersonal and self-regulation concerns found in negotiation, mutual agreement and consensus while individual student subject concerns are to be found in personal autonomy and individuality.  The Hybrid’s Voice for community can be portrayed as The Arbitrator with Forms of Address as in Are you willing to, Would you agree to, as in The condition, situation, goal warrants, indicates, suggests, recommends, as in I hear you, I think I understand, I can only imagine, I can’t imagine.  The Hybrid’s Voice for personal subject decisions can be styled as The Solo Sailor with Forms of Address from youth as in I’m going to/not going to, I  want/don’t  want, I have/don’t have, and forms of adult address to youth as in  Here are options, It’s up to you, The choice is yours, If you wish/want.

I could now see that my Constructivism veered heavily to The Libertarian when it came to course content:  As I remarked to more than one undergraduate without a drop of sarcasm, “I place ideas, concepts and propositions before you for your pleasure to take or leave as you like.“ I could also see that I adopted The Libertarian Universe of Discourse, Voice and Forms of Address when it came to subject content but projected The Communitarian when it came to student self-regulation, interpersonal and group dynamics.  In essence, I was trying to create within my courses an Interconnected Community of Solo Sailors. 

Then like the anvil dropping in a cartoon, it hit me that this definition of the classroom situation was grossly inconsistent with The Authoritarian expectations of the institutions within which I had been employed and the students enrolled. Still, I thought to give reframing the good old college try.

I employed Experiential Cooperative Learning activities focused on concepts found in the course syllabi and the assigned texts to reframe self-regulation, interpersonal and group dynamics to the Communitarian. I strongly encouraged the use of The Arbitrator Forms of Address when students were negotiating on group agreements.

I promoted youth Solo Sailor Forms of Address for students to use during topic class discussions while I used the adult forms owning my own specific topic information to reframe perception of common course content to the Libertarian. I reinforced The Libertarian perception by not assessing the degree of retention of either student or instructor derived content information   Further, I did not directly instruct on or assess retention of material from the assigned readings, but left the decision to engage and the content to take from readings to each student; I provided the beginning of each class session for discussion of readings if a student or a group of students wished to do so always using the adult Solo Sailor Forms of Address when eliciting student interest for discussion.  However, I surrendered to The Authoritarian accountability expectation of institutions and students by using The Domineering Parent Forms of Address to steer methods by which students arrived at their own content knowledge from class activities, guided pivotal questioning, lectures and readings and, then, by assessing the degree to which each student achieved an instructed technique. 

These reframing efforts kept on failing.  Consistently having to justify myself to administrations which constantly declined to agree with my reasoning certainly demonstrated the failure.  My reframing methods may have been insufficient to the task and my implementation of them may have been less the stellar, but the global Authoritarian environment of the institutions in the end had the most substantial effect.

An explanation can be found in Ludwik Fleck’s Genesis and Development of a Scientific Fact.  First comes the adoption of a single all-encompassing paradigm, which Fleck defines as “… a structurally complete and closed system of opinions consisting of many details and relations…[offering] enduring resistance to anything that contradicts it.” (Fleck, p. 27)   Because  the paradigm belongs to a community of persons mutually exchanging ideas or maintaining intellectual interaction, he maintains, perception wholly directed by that paradigm undergoes social reinforcement constraining the individual by determining what can be thought in no other way:  “Whole eras”, Fleck states, “will then be ruled by this thought constraint.  Heretics who do not share this collective mood…are rated as criminals by the collective [and] will be burned at the stake until a different mood creates a different [perception] and different valuation.”  (Fleck, p. 99)

 “What we are faced with here”, he suggests, “is not so much simple passivity or mistrust of new ideas as an active approach which can be divided into several stages.  (1) A contradiction to the system appears unthinkable.  (2) What does not fit into the system remains unseen; (3) alternatively, if it is noticed, either it is kept secret, or (4) laborious efforts are made to explain an exception in terms that do not contradict the system.  (5) Despite the legitimate claims of contradictory views, one tends to see, describe, or even illustrate those circumstances which corroborate current views and thereby give them substance.  (Fleck, p 27)    And I will add:  or the individual holding contrary views is ignored by and eventually expelled from the thought collective.

Put simply: the institutions of higher education in which I taught and students acculturated exclusively held the thought constraint, the paradigm, of The Authoritarian; I held an opposing thought system, The Constructivist Libertarian-Communitarian Hybrid.  The different thought system I employed presented a contradiction to The Authoritarian, especially, in student expectations of instructional attitudes and professorial behaviors and in individual student learning and class group-dynamic behaviors creating a cognitive dissonance within each student in each course I structured through my form of Constructivist Libertarian-Communitarian Hybrid.   They partially resolved the conundrum through responding well to Authoritarian expectations inherent in the need to comply with my directions in class session activities and in successfully acquiring instructed methods, but confusion reigned.  

A switch in situational expectation, Watzlawck contends, causes confusion and the need to resolve confusion causes a readiness and eagerness “…to hold on firmly to the next piece of concrete information that is given…[thus] setting the stage for reframing.” (Watzlawck, p. 101)  Unfortunately, I experienced a complete absence of readiness and eagerness in students to anticipate any next unfolding of my form of Constructivist Libertarian-Communitarian Hybrid pedagogy, so the next piece and the next after that and the next after that of the form continued an unresolved confusion.  Most students lived with the bewilderment while continuing to act according to their Authoritarian expectations.  But, those few more severely disturbed by being in the middle of the reframing process complained to institutional administrations and I continued to be called to account and compelled to abandon the Constructivist Libertarian-Communitarian Hybrid for The Authoritarian.  While I was not burned at the stake, my heresy was rewarded by constantly being discontinued in employment.

Being true to the strong innate inclination toward independent thought within an egalitarian community, insisting on instruction through a paradigm reflective of this inclination but alien to the one structuring the organization in which I was employed and students integrated, and working to change the conceptual setting of the classroom for students so they experienced it through that different paradigm, I, in the end, led my students into a logical paradox:  as  Watzlawick would say, I ordered them to Be Spontaneous.  (See Watzlawick, p. 64)  

In Change: Principles of Problem Formation and Problem Resolution Watslawick, et al, use reframing as a tool for change at the level of a single person. But, the manner of its use here centered on change of collected groups of individuals bound tightly within a given paradigmatic system.  While I may have wished reframing precipitated a second order change, “…whose occurrence changes the system itself” (Watzlawck, pp 10-11), the social reinforcing thought constraints of the system in which we labored could only allow first order change, “one that occurs within a given system which itself remains unchanged”. (Watzlawck, pp 10-11)  The confusion I engendered in classes of students suggested first order change was possible and underway.  However, as repeatedly displayed, the integrative power of the system, in this case The Authoritarian, and its fourteen to fifteen year hold on these groups of students eventually precluded even first order change.  Moreover, only in my courses were students being asked to substantively change in this manner, the overwhelming majority architecture of their studies deepening integration into the system.  Further, the fifteen week semester turned out to be an unrealistic period within which to successfully reframe even to a first order change.

Ultimately, reconceptualization to a Constructivist Libertarian-Communitarian Hybrid college classroom just could not be had within The Authoritarian system.  If a Constructivist Libertarian-Communitarian Hybrid conceptualization is to be had within groups of students, then, they will have to have grown to higher education and be attending a college wholly constructed by that paradigm.

Indeed, to assure the constructivist, libertarian-communitarian habits of mind, behavior and expectation, students ought to growth through schooling intentionally constructed to engender and express them/

References: 
Fleck, Ludwik. Genesis and Development of a Scientific Fact.  Eds. Thaddeus J. Trenn and Robert K. Merton.  Trans. Fed Bradely and Thaddeus J. Trenn.  Chicago:  The University of Chicago Press.  1979.

Richardson, Virginia. “Constructivist Pedagogy”.  Teachers College Record  105:9, 1623-1640, 2005. 

Watzlawck, Paul, Weakland, John H., and Fisch, Richard.  Change: Principles of Problem Formation and Problem Resolution.  New York:  W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. 1974.

No comments:

Post a Comment