Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Methods Chase

(Author's Note:  For those who have yet to catch on let me say that these recent blog posts have been summarizing my history in the field of education.  I think it enlightening, especially for some who are not in the field, to see one person's struggle to be a professional in a career which over the last thirty years has been "de-professionalized".  I have a few more such posts and then I will move on to comment on other things.)




The Board of Examiners, the credentialing department of New York City’s Board of Education, said I, with a BFA in Communication Arts, a MA in Media Studies, plus sixty-three credits in a Ph.D. in Media Ecology, was unqualified to teach Communication Arts in the City schools but I was qualified to teach Social Studies. That I had substantial knowledge in Irish, American and European history, politics and government allowed me to be not too angry at the decision. Besides, there was at the time no need for Communication Arts teachers in the City system but a high need to fill Social Studies vacancies.


Now, preparing to be a professor requires in-depth disciplinary learning and high level training in research, but nothing in the art of teaching, nor in the social science of Learning Theory.  However, to be City licensed and State certified to teach in the public schools of New York City, one needs to have sufficient course work completed in these areas. So, I went back to school in academic year 1990-91 and completed the required courses to be a New York City Social Studies teacher. 


The singular fellow teaching us to teach was then the Chair of the Social Studies Department of Brooklyn’s Abraham Lincoln High School, an urban public school noted for its championship football and basketball teams and its rather rough student body.  One would expect our professor to prepare us for students we would be facing as newly minted teachers, urban ninth graders, as the brand new teacher in this public system is given the most challenging students, and ninth graders are all that.  Certainly, he came from a school which held classrooms full of such youngsters.  But, no, he chose to educate us to a teaching method he used for his honors classes, The Developmental Lesson. 


I immediately took to this process as it is based on the Socratic Method, which I had made my own during the ten previous years.  The way this professor had us style each day’s Socratic lesson was as an argument answering a specific question.  These turned out to be mini debates where a teacher would elicit evidence from students through asking them “pivotal questions”.   The evidence would be placed on the board in a manner so that the accumulated "proofs" would definitively answer the lesson’s question.  Students would copy what was placed on the board as notes for study.  In this practice, evaluation of student learning was mostly essay type as such writing was thought best at reproducing lesson arguments to answer test questions which were in actuality the ones contemplated in each day’s class.  Frankly, I enjoyed the year and waited anxiously for appointment.


However, academic year ’91-’92 had to be spent as a substitute teacher in five Brooklyn high schools. But, in September, 1992, I was appointed to teach Social Studies in one of the tougher Brooklyn high schools. And, as expected, in that school, Erasmus Hall High School, I was given a ninth grade program.


I employed Developmental just the way I was taught to do.  This was very difficult to accomplish as it required students to do homework, to actually read with understanding the assignments in preparation for the next day’s discussion, which to a young ninth grader they did not do.  The short, narrowly conceived “warm-up” work given at the very start of each period as a way of getting students settled into a learning frame of mind did work to an extent as a substitute for homework.  But, they were so habituated to being talked at as an instructional strategy they had trouble grasping the concept, no less the practice, of, the Socratic Method upon which Developmental Lesson instruction is based. As a consequence of all this, we were struggling to get through each period.


For my troubles I got "straightened out" by the Principal and by the students themselves. The Principal demanded a definite lecture, a talking to, factoid on the board, textbook teaching/learning instructional strategy, not Developmental, and the students didn't actually know what they wanted but they did not want Developmental either. Wanting to remain employed in the teaching capacity in that school, I did as told moving completely away from Developmental to the type of lecture talking to, factoid on the board, textbook teaching/learning the Principal wanted with the result that the ninth graders, who were all two to three years behind on any and all schooling criteria, were far more lost in the weeds than ever.


The tragedy of the situation was that these youngsters needed a wholly different way of being formally educated, but none was available, so they floundered.  As might be expected, this situation didn't last, not at all. I saw what I was required to do creating worse student outcomes than if left to what I was doing before and I resented having to force bad outcomes when I knew better; yet, I felt in order to remain employed I had to do as told. It did not take long for me to implode: I resigned my appointment to become a scuba diving instructor.


I mean, if all this wasn't telling me something. Still, my head was in school teaching, so I thought all I needed was to get more and different instructional strategies.  Thus, informally through a whole lot of reading I acquired Experiential Learning, Project Based Learning and techniques in the Johnsons' Model of Cooperative Learning. I even took a graduate level course in the Johnsons’ Model.  But, the City schools, and even the private schools, refused me any additional employment in Social Studies denying me opportunity to apply them. Now, one had to wonder if the negative decisions on all of my attempts to regain a school teaching position-I had a bunch of interviews-were a clear rejection of the array of instructional strategies I presented as being fundamental to my teaching. More, I was offering myself as a Cooperative Learning teacher and I have to wonder if the principals with whom I was interviewing had already decided very much against Cooperative just in the way the Principal of Erasmus Hall had decided very much against Developmental.  Unfortunately, I was not thinking in that direction as I continued to go after each vacant position offering each principal a grant assortment of pedagogical possibilities, Cooperative Learning most prominent among them.


There was a glitch with private schools complicating any consideration of my pedagogical approach: their reliance on academic degrees as qualification. My academics were in Communication/Media Arts and although I possessed City license and State certification in high school Social Studies as well as a store of knowledge in American and World History and in Economics and Government-the subjects of Social Studies-the conventional private school community in NYC would only recognize degrees in History or Economics or Politics/Government as marking prospective teachers eligible for employment in Social Studies. And, as it happened then, there were no vacancies in the private high schools for Communication Arts teachers.


So, rather than taking the hint I began looking at private alternatives to the conventional schooling to build a teaching career.

No comments:

Post a Comment