Monday, March 3, 2014

An Active Learner From a Way Back

An only child is a lonely child in desperate search of conversation with anyone who will chat for even the briefest of time as talking for the lonely child provides that indispensable human connection when personal interiors mix with each other and both intuit they are not alone. As an only child, from the moment I could sense there was a world outside my skin, I craved conversation and the connection it furnished.


And it didn't take much for me to catch on that a question started conversation. Indeed, the art of conversation almost always starts with the simplest of questions: “Hey, how the heck are you?”; or “Whatsup?” or “Whatsdewin?” Naturally, there are moments when the questioner really has no interest in having the question answered, but uses it as an opening to let the other enter the mutual exchange. Nevertheless, it is the question which prompts the conversation.


The consistent use of the opening question inside my family circle must have begun well before the time when today I can look back and remember a first time, but there isn’t a moment in memory when I can recall any other way conversations were started. And the territory covered by conversations overheard between my mother and father, house guests and assorted relatives and in which I was invited to engage when beginning as a teen I was thought mature enough ranged the width of the universe and the depth of the human soul. Neal Postman, a true lover of conversation himself, echoed Marshal McLuhan when I heard him say that television supplies the first curriculum. While we did enjoy our television, for me from the earliest age, it was conversation which supplied my first curriculum and my earliest experiences of being taught. It seemed to me then that learning what was important to know came through conversation, that a deep desire to know could be quenched through conversation, that the opening to conversation, to learning, was always through a spoken question and that the transformational moment moving the object of learning wider and deeper was centered in a spoken question. It was not so much later consequent to seeing my father and mother frequently reading and then referring to what was read in conversation I understood that silently engaging writers in their books and articles stimulated the inner reflective thinking on which verbal expression through conversation rested and in which questions were formed, leading me to unselfconsciously know the intimate connections among reading, reflective thought, questioning, conversation and learning. Thus, from the earliest of ages I knew learning was a process of reflective inner thinking stimulated by reading and conversation ignited by a personal impulse of wanting to know given voice through asking questions. And teaching is, conversely, putting reflective inner thinking opportunities in the way of individuals and providing external expressive pathways to individuals while allowing individual questions to drive reading, thinking and conversation.


But, when I entered kindergarten, teaching and learning wasn't exactly like that. In fact, there were all these experiences of color, of shape, of letters and numbers, of all sorts of combinations of things, and there was free play. There was also being read to and sing-a-longs and play acting. As I moved through to the first grade it occurred to me at an instinctual level that learning was more than an effect of reading and talking. Ultimately, I “refined” my unconscious understanding of learning: I intuited learning to be a process of reflective inner thinking stimulated by sensory and mediated experience ignited by a personal impulse of wanting to derive meaning from these experiences through asking questions of the individual and collected experiences. Indeed, at the dawn of the academics of first grade I was quite the activist learner.


But, I was also fairly compliant and so when told to do whatever academic thing I obeyed, perhaps not doing as well as I could, but not rebelling, not self-sabotaging, either. Still, anytime when the teaching resonated with my activist predilections, I excelled. English-what is now called English Language Arts-was the area teachers engaged us in asking questions of what we read, and to the degree us little kids could talk about how we interpreted what we read we had class discussions. However, since the rest of elementary school required youngsters to be passive learners, completely accepting teacher supplied information into our little brains for ready recall on tests, I did not excel in these other subjects and to the degree that even English had us strictly obedient to teacher demands, my drive to being an “A” student was blunted. Nevertheless, up until sixth grade, I remember feeling okay and doing well enough. In sixth grade, though, the bottom started to fall out. I wanted to assert my way of learning beyond an occasion in English. But, that was not happening. And so I got depressed and while I remained a well mannered young man, I struggled to do the school work I was told to do. And consequently my grades suffered. I did not fail any subject, but came close to it at times.


English was the high school subject in which I did best and for the same reasons as I did in elementary school. Yet, the need for me to be a compliant passive learner remained. I did okay, but felt miserable suffering a deep depression my sophomore and junior year. Even today, I do not understand the reasons I come out of it at the very start of my senior year, but I did. Then, I was more like I was in early grade school with pretty much the same results, feeling okay but doing mediocre academics.


It took ten years for me to earn my undergraduate degree as I was in and out until I was old enough to accept the passive role I had to affect. And when I did, I was able to excel and graduated Summa Cum Laude. And go on to do my Masters and complete all the course work on a Ph.D. And then the active learner revolted so disagreeing with my dissertation chair as to self-sabotage the dissertation process.


In the meantime, I pledged to myself that whenever I got the opportunity to teach, I would employ instructional strategies requiring all students to be active learners. In fact, as I traveled through course work at all levels, but especially at the undergraduate, I would note the points of disagreement I had with the passive strategies professors were employing and cook-up methods transforming them into active strategies. I would listen closely to the lectures and as it droned on I would turn what the professor was saying into questions he/she could ask the class.  I would occasionally, raise my hand to ask a question to see if I could start a conversation among my fellow undergrad classmates, but it was always unwanted and thus to no avail.  Still, when I was hired for my first college course, I already had a good idea on how to organize instruction. Unfortunately, my active learner approach-which I learned is called the Socratic Method-along with my unique organization of course content put me at odds with some students and with supervision and so I was not invited back. As I keep on saying, I should have taken the hint, but I didn't and went through the 1980's from college to college as an adjunct working well with most students, upsetting a few and greatly annoying supervision until the hard economics of the City University of New York kick me out to the street.


So, I took my activist learning proclivities and pedagogical pledge into the New York City high schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment